Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Update from Monday

Let me start by saying everything is okay.

Now, let's backtrack. 

On Monday, P and I arrived to the Diagnostic Center a half hour before our scheduled appts. and I felt so out of place.  It was like being at the infertility clinic for the first time.  You didn't want to have to be there, but you also hated feeling like such an outsider.  It was a very professional environment.  No big smiles to welcome you.  No feelings of warmth from the secretaries.  I guess if you are there, it isn't for a good reason, so it is just best to keep things as formal as possible. 

We waited for about 20 minutes before being called back to meet with the genetic counselor.  She was great.  Very informative, commented that she could tell I did my research, and there was really nothing she said that I hadn't already prepared myself for.  My AFP came back at 2.7.  They like to see it between 1.0 and 2.0.  The way they determined mine was elevated was they compare me to others just like me: a white, 29 year old, in good health, who concieved via IVF.  Taking into consideration all those things, my AFP came back 2.7 times what would be considered "perfect."  She then went onto explain the other 4 things that were measured in my blood.  The others looked good, particularly the 2 connected to the placenta, which means the placenta is most likely functioning properly.  After we had our meeting, we went to sit in another waiting room for about another 15 minutes.  We both were sweating, surrounded by other couples, no one knowing where to look or what to say.  I had no idea what to expect.

When we got into the ultrasound room, the technician told me to lie on the table and that was all we heard from him.  He did point out a few things he was looking at.  But, it was basically, my husband and I sitting in silence while the tech. jabbed at my stomach for 45 minutes taking over 50 pictures and all sorts of crazy measurements.  Every once in a while I looked at the small television screen, but I mostly stared at the ceiling fighting back tears having no idea what was going on.  At the conclusion of it, he told us he needed to consult with the doctor and then would be back.

Ten agonizing minutes later, he walked in with the doctor and they looked over the spine a bit more closely.  Then he finally told us that from everything they could see, there were no problems.  The spine, kidneys, brain, liver, arms, legs, nose, mouth (sometimes an elevated AFP can be due to a cleft palate) everything looked good.  I couldn't believe it.  I was afraid I was going to pass out. 

The wave of relief that rushed over my husband and I is almost impossible to put into words.

The doctor then went on to explain that in their report they will recommend that I have serial growth ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks to make sure the baby is continuing to thrive.  Many times the unexplained elevated levels can indicate complications that may arrive in the third trimester.  Many times, it can mean nothing, and it could just be a level that is normal for my body.

The last few weeks have been stressful and terrifying for the two of us and we are so grateful that our little one seems to be doing well and from everything they could see is a very healthy, bouncy baby.  We have fallen even more in love with this little one and cannot put into words how relieved we are. 

Thank you so much for your comments.  This blog continues to be a great source of support for me, especially when the outside world just doesn't seem to be able to provide it.  I am so thankful to be a part of this community.  Thinking of all of you...

27 comments:

  1. What good news. I was literally refreshing my blog list every 20 minutes since I got home from work hoping to read you good news. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank God....so glad for your good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy everything looks good! What a relief for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy everything looks good! What a relief for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good new for you guys! Yay! Hope everything continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOOO happy to read this update!!! What a wonderful feeling of relief! I too have been refreshing my blog for the past two days praying for a positive update. I hope everything continues to thrive and that you just continue to fall more and more in love with your little baby. I hope you also take some time to relax this weekend and enjoy not having to worry about something :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you got great news, that must feel very relieving! I hope things look up and that you guys will have some peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GIFT!!! I have been praying for you guys and relieved to hear this news. SOOOO, soooo blessed by this. I am hoping for smooth sailing from here on out! HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful news. I am so happy that you can go forward with some confidence. And more ultrasounds which is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh thank god, all is good. This is great great news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so thrilled for you! We won't have any additional scans until the third trimester too - sounds like they're monitoring growth and similar things between the two of us. Always here if you need to chat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you received good news and that they will continue to monitor you as a safety net.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so happy for you!!! Such good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad everything turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank goodness for great news. I am so happy that this appointment went well and here is to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so thankful for good news for y'all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh thank goodness! I am so happy for you all. I hope that you can relax for the rest of the pregnancy, and these monthly ultrasounds will just be a bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is wonderful!

    Poo on the tech that couldn't be bothered to speak to you while getting your scan done! I had scans done at two different hospitals during my two full term pregnancies, and at both places we were talked through the entire process. I hope all future scans are more calm and informative for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such awesome news! Hopefully everything else continues to run smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG -- reading this just made my day! So so so happy for you, P and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad all of your prayers are being answered. You deserve the world after all that you and your hubby have been through. I couldn't be more excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome news!! So happy to see everything is progressing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. YAAAAAAAAY so glad everything is ok!!!

    ReplyDelete