Thursday, October 18, 2012

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Is that how the song goes?

That is kind of how I am feeling tonight.

It could be hormones, it could be because our scan is tomorrow, or it could be that I still haven't dealt with the fact that we spent almost 2 years trying to have a baby.  Obsessing over having a baby.  Struggling, crying, pulling away.

These past few weeks I have jumped head first into pregnancy.  That is my nature.  I go, go, go, and then I crash.  In this case, I fall apart.  I have loved telling people, most reactions have been wonderful.  Planning our nursery is one of my favorite things to do.  And seeing my growing belly feels magical at times.

But, tonight, I am having a really bad night.  I have always been the person that has been there for other people when they needed me.  I have always been the first person to send a card for this or that.  My mom has told me in the past she is sorry for rasising me that way.  I don't consider myself the nicest person, that would be my husband, but I do consider myself a very thoughtful person.   I go out of my way for people a lot. Which is great, until I place those expectations on other people.

I am tired of people not understanding.  I am tired of being the person that needs to explain things to people.  Over the past two weeks two different people have texted me about how two of their friends are also having babies in April and how great it was.  These texts shouldn't upset me.  AT ALL.  Except for the fact that both of those "friends of friends" got married in the spring, THIS past spring.  They got married, had sex, and had a baby.  That was what I wanted.  That was supposed to be the way it was for P and me.  It hurts to hear stories like that.  It hurts to know that to my friends I am just another person who got pregnant.  I don't know what I am looking for from them, I just know I am not getting it.  Why can't I just get over it?  It worked, we are having a baby.  One little baby, it is just what I wanted and still I feel a little bit of sadness.  The worst part is I know there are so many of you out there still waiting for your little one, so many that have gone through multiple IVFs, and I should just thank my lucky stars that the first one worked.  And most days I do, but today it hasn't been so easy.

I hope this is all the hormones and not the way things are going to be for me.  Someone at work, my same age, asked me how I was feeling today and then proceeded to ask me if I was tired of being asked that yet because she grew sick of it very quickly when she was pregnant.   What I wanted to say was, I have been waiting almost 2 years to be asked that question, I hope people ask me that question every single day for the rest of my pregnancy.  I feel like I have so much anger and frustration built up that I don't know what to do with it.  I know people mean no harm, but I feel like they don't even think before they talk.  And I am sick of it.  I am sick of letting people off the hook because they don't understand.  Just because they haven't been through it, doesn't mean they can't at least make an EFFORT.  I don't think I am asking too much... 

This tough day could also be because I have my NT scan tomorrow morning.  I had a horrible nightmare about it two nights ago and I am scared.  Scared of something being wrong.  Before every appointment I feel some form of anxiety no matter how hard I try and keep it away.

Ughh...I am done.  I hate writing posts like these.  I hate being that negative person.  But, I am having a tough day.  And I have always been very open and honest on this blog and hope that if someone else reads this, and feels the same way, they know that they are not alone.  I guess the struggle doesn't end just because you got pregnant.  It feels a little less intense, but it is still there.  And I am working on it...with a little help and encouragement from my mom...I am working on it.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

 

18 comments:

  1. Giving you a big big hug!!! It is okay to feel all these feelings you are feeling...lol that sounded funny. I'm sorry that others are not acknowledging all that you've been through. Tomorrow will be a better day! Hang in there dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More big hugs to you! You are right though, tomorrow is a better day. Don't feel bad for having a bad day we all have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded on a daily basis of how isolating infertility is. It seems as though infertility does not exist for just about everyone. Just today I had to sit in a meeting and listen to someone go on and on about how 2 of the 4 teachers in our pilot group at work are "messing" things up because they went and got knocked up and will be going on maternity leave very soon. I did everything I could to fight back the tears and keep myself from running out of the room. And the worst part is, this person knew, not in detail, but knew we are struggling. I'm really sorry about the insensitivity of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow WILL be a better day -- especially once you get to see your precious one on the ultrasound screen! Don't forget to take good care of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have every right to feel the way you feel. My husband and I were with our best friends over the weekend, and things got very candid. We tell them a lot, but we were telling them that it blows our minds that people have sex and get pregnant. It felt good to share that with them. They said that they got it, and felt extremely fortunate that that did happen for them. No one understands it, but I can tell you I would be feeling the exact same way if I was in your shoes. I know everything will be fine tomorrow...sending all good vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs. Just because you finally conceive, doesn't mean infertility is over. Those feelings stay with you. Sorry you're having a tough day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems that infertility doesn't go disappear when you are pregnant- shoot! I was counting on it all fading into the past...but I can 100% see how it never will. Ugh. Thinking good thoughts for your scan tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I can't say I know exactly how you feel b/c I'm not pregnant...I know where you are coming from though. We are just beginning IVF after 3+ years of TTC. We have had to endure soo many pregnancy announcements, all exciting, but sometimes it stings the way people deliver the news. I have had tremendous support, but I have also experienced people's lack of consideration or even just simple understanding of our situation...and it hurts so bad. I've always said that it would mean so much if someone would just simply say "I can't even imagine what you are going through, it must hurt so bad"...just a small acknowledgement. I know people mean well by patting you on the back and saying "it will happen"...but how do they know that? A little empathy goes a long way. I'm writing a book on your blog, sorry! I think most of us understand what you are saying, and you should know it's totally normal. I do feel like those feelings will pass slowly as you get further along :) Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since we've been pregnant, I have still struggled with pregnancy announcements. There's this girl that is due at the same time as me, and she got pregnant easily. She actually had the nerve to tell me that it took 6 months... :Breathe in, Breathe out:

    Unfortunately, I do believe that we will forever be scarred by our infertility. It did take us a long time to become pregnant. Our feelings are still so raw. Sending you big hugs, Linds! Some people will always be insensitive and not understand what we went through to expand our families. Just remember that God knows our struggles... "Rejoice and be glad for great is your reward in Heaven."-Matthew 5:12

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read your blog off and on for a while, but thought today it was time to comment. First off, congratulations on your pregnancy.

    I have been struggling with the role of pregnant infertile too. I think the outside world sees you as a normal pregnant person, and by making statements telling you they see you as normal, they fail to acknoweldge (probably unintentionally or unknowingly) that it doesn't feel like that to you. On the inside, I know that I don't feel like a normal pregannt woman. I'm still terrified that something will go horribly wrong and that we won't have this baby. And I also feel like I can't deny what's happened to us over the last 4 years, and sweep it under the rug (or bump, as it were). People can't always honour others' experiences. It's good that you are able to be honest with yourself, and with close others about the fact that while you are happy to be pregnant, you still feel like an infertile inside. It won't all go away with a snap of the fingers.

    Wishing you the most wonderful NT scan.
    Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you. We've waited so long for this, it bugs me to be compared to the "average" easy to get pregnant lady. Whether it's fair or not, it's natural! I also had a friend who took about 8-9 months to get pregnant, but still did it naturally and she said the other day, "We just both went through so much to get here!" I wanted to scream. I'm sorry she didn't get pregnant right away, but she did not have to go surgery, invasive tests, medicines and shots and shots and shots, etc. Grrr! I had to just try to smile and ignore her comments, but it's not easy at ALL. Can't wait to here great news from your NT scan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, we can't erase our past of IF when we get pregnant. We have so much more to lose and worry about. I have been working on getting used to the other pregnancy announcements over the last 6 months and it is a bit easier, but I would be lying if I said it didn't sting. I think talking to those you care about regarding your path to baby is so important. They may not always think before speaking, but you can bet that they will feel more grateful when they realize they don't have to go through IVF to get to their baby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all have down days, my dear. Hang in there. You won't be able to change other people, but most days it will sting less. Let me know if you ever need to get together for some comfort food and a chat with someone who might understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your scan went well on Friday. I just wanted to say that I found that these feelings subsided over time, but they came back when we decided to try for number 2. It's just something I had to deal with (and still deal with), because people don't understand what it means for us to 'make the decision' to have a child.

    Anyway, just thinking of you and excited for you that you are on the cusp of your second trimester....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey are you doing ok? Been thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just checking in to see how you are doing...haven't heard from you since your scan and hope and pray things are continuing to go well for you! Think of you often!

    ReplyDelete