Sunday, June 3, 2012

On Hold

My hopes for children, my happiness, my life.  They are all on hold.

I am struggling right now.  I am in a tough spot.  I know that and yet I can't do anything about it.  I am trying to pull myself out of this hole that I feel is getting deeper, I had been doing so well, and now I fear I am on the losing side of this battle. 

Being a teacher I probably get asked this question at least a few times a day this time of year: How many more days until school gets out, you must be so excited??

It is exhausting pretending to be okay. 

What I want to tell people is I can't tell you how many days until summer, but I can tell you how many days until my first Lupron shot. 

I started crying to P last night, I know, it seems to be a common theme over these past few days.  I have never had a "favorite" class.  At the end of each year I get sad and upset over the thought of getting a new group next year, that I don't know and who don't know me and spending the first few months training them, getting them used to my routines.  But, saying good-bye to this group is going to be extremely difficult to me.  They are too young to understand what they mean to me and what they have done for me this year.  I wish there was some way I could tell them that, maybe someday when they are older and come to visit, but not now. 

This group of students has been with me through all the tests, procedures, medications, and month after month of failed pregnancy tests.  And each morning, it was them, that got me through everything.  Yes, I have a supportive husband and we both have wonderful families, but it has been my students, and their undeniable need for me, the pure love they have for me, that has given me the strength to get through this year.  There is nothing like walking into a classroom after you have missed a day of work and seeing the look of joy on your students faces when they realize you are back. I can't help but see them leaving me in a few weeks as a representation of the time that has gone by and the things that I have gone through, and the fact that I am still not pregnant.  It should have been this class that found out I was pregnant.  It deserved to be this class, they are the ones I wanted to share the good news with.  But it's not, and there is no good news to share, and it is really hitting me hard.   


Today was my future sister-in-laws shower.  It was a nice time.  Good to see friends and family I hadn't seen in a while.  But, I am tired.  This is tiring.  I want my old life back, but I feel like it's gone.  I feel like I am stuck in limbo.  I never knew it would be this hard to have a baby.

10 comments:

  1. How many days until your Lupron shot?

    I have to say, I am feeling so swamped with all my end of the year to-dos - we only have 10 days left and I am spending two of the out of the building to work on my admin internship. Ugh. I hope everything goes smoothly for you as you wrap up the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. Our school year is coming to an end and I get asked all the time if I have any plans for the summer. I usually say not too many, just relaxing and enjoying the time off work. But want I want to say is that I will be going to dr. appointments, taking large amounts of hormones, going through IVF and spending my summer desperately trying to get pregnant. Hang in there, it's a hard journey for sure but I remind myself daily that it will all be worth it when I get to hold my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::hug:: Being in limbo is the worst! I am praying so hard that something happens for you to break the stagnation soon. That first Lupron shot will be upon you before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I can relate. Prior to IVF#1, I had a 2 month period of waiting. Initially I thought it would be a peaceful time. But as time went on and I watched others cycle around me getting BFPs, I began to feel lost. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that you are doing everything humanly possible to prepare for this cycle. Even though it doesn't seem like it, this time does count too. And as much as you want to start Lupron today (or even 2 weeks ago), I believe you made a very sound decision to hold off until some events during the summer have passed.

    Hang in there. With each passing day, you are one step closer to the final goal. In the meantime, focus on preparing for this cycle. Sign up for a yoga class, plan out an exercise regiment, etc. And nurture yourself too. I'm sure it will all pay off very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one can blame you for struggling. At first when I read the title I thought something had happened to put it even on a longer hold. While I am glad that isn't the case I can't even imagine how hard this wait is for you. Hang in there and I think I am going to miss your class too because of the stories you have shared with us! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sending you lots of **hugs** Lindsay. Things are not on hold for you. Every day, you are one day closer. It's just maybe that things are further away than you want. (Maybe, definitely.) But you will get there. Time will pass, I promise. I hope quickly.

    And we'll be here to cheer you on in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hon, I'm sorry. Hang in there and know that as tough as this time is, you will get through it. IF is so darn hard and can break you if you let it, but it sounds like you have a wonderful life outside this crappy place you are in. Cling to that, do things to distract yourself and find things that make you happy. I know it's hard to focus on that when you are so unhappy with being childless and all you want is a belly...but you have a good life and a good husband. Treat this time like it's your last break before you are carrying a baby.
    I have my fingers crossed for you and hope you can find some happiness in this difficult wait.
    MissConception

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine how difficult it is to say goodbye to your students year after year. Just think about your next class. They will watch your growing belly. Excitedly waiting for your little one to be born. Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't help but to respond to this post. I feel the exact same way...this is the clasd that should have been celebrating my pregnancy. Instead...they aren't. I am not only going to miss them, but what should have been. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete