Monday, June 4, 2012

Pushing Through

Ughh, I am trying to push through this awful rut I am in, but it is so hard!

So, I took a step in the right direction today (I think.)

Thanks to my friend A (who I met through blogging) I got the name of an accupuncturist in my area, that A's recommended.  I called her today just to get some information.  I am not a HUGE fan of needles (but really, is anyone??) I can deal with one in my stomach that I have full control over haha but I am not sure about multiple needles all over my body.   

Dr. D (accupuncturist) was obviously very confident in her abilities and very passionate about her work, which has me a little interested.  I have to call insurance and see if I have what is called a RYDER that would cover accupuncture, if not, it is out of pocket.  Either way, I will probably move forward with it. 

The biggest thing she said she could do is strenghten and tone my uterus.  She believes it would really help to come in for a few sessions right before and after retrieval.  Your blood, energy, and emotions are all tied into each other, they cannot work independent of one another, they have to work together.  In the few minutes I talked to her she seemed to want to stress to me that the western way of seeing health and medicine is completely different from the eastern way, I was aware of that, but not really the extent to which it differs, so that kind of interests me too.  But, to be honest, I am a little afraid she is going to find something else that is out of whack with me.  I wonder if she will pick up on old sports injuries??  I really have no idea what to expect!

When I asked her about the first appt. she said she is very thorough and I should be prepared for 90 minutes.  About 60 minutes of talking, getting some history, and 20-25 minutes of needles.  YIKES!  She also said that she will take my pulse and look at my tongue.  That kind of freaks me out.  What does she want to see my tongue for??  Oh, once again, I have so much to learn!

I am still not sure I believe in this stuff.  But, I am willing to give it a try.  If nothing else, maybe it will help me "feel" better.  She put a packet in the mail to me, I should have it in the next few days and then I will probably call and schedule an appt.  Can't be any worse than anything else I have been through, right?  If this doesn't work, I will probably take the advice of sass, and go for a few massages over the next few weeks. 

In the world of cycling I am on cd 16 and still waiting for ovulation.  Started temping this cycle again to avoid what happened last cycle and hoping for a spike in the next day or two.  Waiting to ovulate is torture!  Waiting, waiting, waiting...

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with the acupuncture. I have been going for years and love it. Although I still have no idea why they look at your tongue....
    I did have acupuncture immediately before/after embryo transfer and 3 days post transfer this most recent cycle.....and it worked! I don't think it is the sole reason, but I will definitely do it again when we go back for #2. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right - I have been here before!! I just didn't recognize you on my blog. I will add you to my reading list :).

      Delete
  2. Interesting...the more I read about bloggers doing acupuncture the more I think about looking into it. Come on ovulation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to my acupuncturist. The needles don't really hurt at all. Wishing you a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure about acupuncture to start with... but it's been one of the most amazing things that I've done for myself over the past 18 months or so... you barely feel the needles and it's so relaxing once their in. Plus I'm sure she's been able to help regulate my cycles and minimise IVF med side-effects etc... love it :)) FXd for you hun xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could just be a coincidence, but I went in for acupuncture after finding out about a cyst on my ovary, had it treated, and the cyst was gone in a week. That is really fast. It doesn't hurt and can actually relax and make you tired. Definately worth a few sessions to see how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the acupuncture a lot...obviously hasn't gotten me pregnant, but believe it or not, it's relaxing...after you get over the weirdness of getting a bunch of needles stuck in random spots! They're REALLY small needles, so I actually hardly feel them go in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never ventured into acupuncture but there have been so many bloggers that swear by it so good luck! I love my reflexology and while I don't think it is the actual reason I got pregnant it did help with some issues and she did find some old sports injuries like my shoulder from softball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I love acupuncture! I haven't gone in a few weeks because it gets super expensive, but I do love it when I go! Obviously, I'm not pregnant and I'm not really sure if it has helped me get any closer to pregnancy, but it is very relaxing and I really look forward to going, it's kind of like a mini spa treatment. I hope that you enjoy it and can keep doing it for a while! I've read stats that IVF is up to 30% more effective when it's done with acupuncture...not sure how accurate that is, but it's encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it helps any, acupuncture is what got me through. I don't claim to understand how or why (after all - I work in the Western medicine world) but I started it pre-IUI #1 after 4 failed months of Clomid. I was having a hard time coping with the stress and depression, which was causing me to lose sleep and be even crankier. I've done acupuncture ever since and it really helped me to cope and feel better - I started sleeping better and it helped ease the side effects from all the IUI and IVF hormones. Good luck with your first appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was always interested in acupuncture, but decided on massages instead. I hope whichever you choose it helps you relax and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen studies that acupuncture raises IVF success rates quite significantly.

    I've been going for years - started many years ago (pre-IF days!) when I hurt my back. I have fallen asleep every time except 2. It's so relaxing and I have a total post-acu calm to me.

    The needles are not real needles and you will likely barely feel most of them going in.

    Have fuN!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey L! I got your message on my IF blog and am glad you figured out that I had more than one! It's confusing because my personal blog is the one linked to my profile. I couldn't list my MissConception blog because it was one I didn't want my friends and family to find. I can't post my IF and pregnancy updates on my peronal blog for a while, so I don't post much on there. You may be a little behind in your reading though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to see you are treating yourself with the care and kindness you deserve. Good for you Lindsay!

    I hope it goes well, and I am so interested in what she has to say. I wanted to try acupuncture but then never got up the nerve. The place that our RE recommended was too far away, and I didn't know how to choose somewhere else. I'm a wimp, basically :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your new adventure! I admire your ambition to try something new and continue learning! (Its never-ending, is it?)

    ReplyDelete