Monday, June 11, 2012

Preparing for the Storm

Growing up in New England, the weatherman is a crucial part of our everyday life.  Throughout the different seasons we can have rain, wind, hail, sun, snow, ice and just about every other type of weather in one form or another. 

The weatherman is especially important when it comes to tracking snowstorms.  This past winter was mild, it only snowed once or twice and never stayed long.  BUT, the winter before, we were hit about five consecutive weekends in a row.  Each time, the snow just piled on top of the snow from the previous week.  No matter how much one prepared for it, you never could be ready, because you never knew "exactly" what the storm would bring.  I would imagine that is what it feels like to go through consecutive IVFs and/or FETs.  You never have time to breathe, you just have to keep shoveling and watching the piles grow bigger no matter how much time and energy you put into it, knowing if you stop now, you may never see the grass again.       

This is what I was thinking about on the way to work this morning.  P and I are trying to prepare for the storm.  I should get my period in the next week and then my meds. will arrive and then we will wait for cd 21 to begin the Lupron.  So, sometime next week, I will give up alcohol, cut out caffeine, give accupuncture a try, and make sure I continue on my daily walks with Sage.  I will do everything I can, without going to the extreme, to try and make this cycle successful.  Kind of like when you prepare for the snowstorm.  You go out and stock up on food, movies, shovels, and salt, and hope it's not that bad.  And occasionally, the weatherman goofs up, and nothing happens.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  You look around thinking to yourself, I wasted all my time and energy preparing for something that was never going to happen.  I can't help but think that same way with this upcoming cycle.  I can do all of these "things" that people recommend give us the best chance, and end up with a negative, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  I am trying hard to believe that won't happen, but really, we are just taking a blind leap of faith, trusting the weatherman.  Hoping his prediction is right, that we aren't doing all this for nothing. 

We both had an extremely difficult night on Thursday.  There was nothing either of us could say to make the other feel better.  It's hitting us, both of us, the magnitude of what we are about to jump head first into.  People that have never been through this (including myself just a few years ago) threw around IVF like it was just another way to make a baby.  Everyone always knows someone who knows someone else that went through IVF and had a baby, yay, it must be easy!  What people don't know is the time you have to put in before you can even get to the point of IVF, the number of failed cycles, failed procedures, terrifying tests.  They don't know the endless amounts of drugs you put into your body without giving it a second thought, the agonizing number of years it can take, the number of losses, the amount of pain endured in the process. 

As the weekend was upon us we were better and then Sunday we got to spend time with my wonderful brother-in-law and sister-in-law and our two beautiful nieces.  They are so adorable and so much fun.  When I am with them I don't think about the fact that we don't have children.  I don't think about the fact that we will make such wonderful parents.  I am just filled with love for them.  But, then we got in the car and I felt like we were hit with a wave of sadness.  As the little ones looked out the window and waved good-bye with the words "I'll miss you," I almost couldn't breathe.  P must have been feeling the same way because neither one of us said anything the whole ride home.  There was this heaviness in the air.  We have so much love to give and only Sage to give it to.

After starting this post and reading and then re-reading it, I realized I was missing something, something that I will have to remind myself to think about when the time comes.  Often times in the middle of a snowstorm P and I will sit on the couch together and watch the snow fall.  It is so beautiful that we typically don't say anything, just sit together in silence, wrapped up in a blanket, in awe of what surrounds us.  It is absolutely one of my favorite moments each year.  I hope that when we are wrapped up in our own storm I can remember to stop for a moment and remind myself of the beauty that may reveal itself as the storm subsides.  After all, the snow doesn't last forever, eventually it melts away, and the green grass reappears...

13 comments:

  1. I love how you put this. There are storms to come, but you are braving it out. Just stay warm next to your hubby and wait for the sun. All you can do is try. Everything else is out of your hands so just focus on what you can control and find ways to keep peace in your heart.
    You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy! Only from an educator. You are right. One thing you can count on is that the storm may be big, may be small, maybe nothing at all! But the snow WILL always melt. The grass will always be there. And just remember Spring will come next! The season of beauty and re-birth. I'm glad you are so candid with your feelings. You are so open. Linds - you can do this! You have P right there with you and the two of you can be there for each other. Hold each other up, cry together. Spend nights awake together, love together. And we're all here for you too! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been where you are now, and although I want to reach out and give you a hug, I do know that it won't make the anxiety go away. Remember though, that you will weather this storm. Remember to breathe. Remember that you don't have to do back-to-back IVFs. Hey, this first one might even be your lucky cycle. No matter what, though, you will be okay. You are strong. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb analogy! You are right, no matter what kind of storm comes your way, the snow will melt! Hopefully this storm will produce a lovely little flower. Batten down the hatches, girl! You got this!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post brings back so many memories. All the anxiety and fear that after all of this, we could come up empty handed. Also the pressure to be perfect and do everything right. All of it is terrifying and overwhelming.

    What you're feeling is normal. I'd be worried if you didn't. I know all of this is overwhelming, so take it a step at a time. And don't worry about being perfect with preparing, just focus on taking care of yourself. And know that this CAN work.

    Sending many, many hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful description/post... And so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this analogy. It's hard to not get so wrapped up it the storm preparation and storm itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, you really made a great analogy. I really look forward to reading more of your blog..and to you "making it out of the storm" during this IVF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I look forward to following your journey, and wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful and so true... I love that you want to remember to see the beauty around you during your upcoming cycle - that can be so hard to do sometimes but can make such a difference :) Thinking of you with all my heart and FXd for you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful analogy. I haven't done IVF, but jumping from one medicated IUI to another and another I can relate to being piled up with snow. The winter before last was crazy. I am hoping and praying the prediction is right and you only have one storm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this was a beautiful analogy! We get a lot of storms in Colorado and we're always preparing for them! It really is pretty similar in preparing for a treatment cycle (IVF or otherwise), there's a lot that goes into it! My favorite time too is just sitting and watching the snow fall peacefully with my husband. There is something wonderful about being in the storm together :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you done with school? How are things going? Have you had your first acupuncture appointment yet? ...thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete