Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Remember...

I have felt really content lately.  I am still sick and work sucks but none of that seems to matter, because I am pregnant.  Everyday I come home and look at our ultrasound picture and it makes me really happy.  But, last night I was reading a post from another blogger I follow and all the emotions came rushing back, and I realized I was still a little raw.

I think some people who have not been through this might believe that as soon as you are pregnant everything goes back to normal, the past is the past.  The only problem is, the past is how we got to this point, and we remember it, we will always remember it.

I remember searching for an OBGYN last year knowing in my gut we were having issues getting pregnant.  When I finally found one in May, she did a little bloodwork but told me, you have only been trying for 5 or 6 months, give it some more time.  (My prolactin was high at the time, but she never recommended bromocriptine.)

I remember telling a few people last summer that we were trying and that something didn't seem right.  And almost every one of them told us to just give it more time.  We would be fine, nothing to worry about.  People always want to "fix" things, people always want things to just be okay, when the fact is that sometimes things aren't ok and a good attitude doesn't always make problems disappear.

I remember returning to my OB in September where she began to show some signs of worry.  My prolactin was still borderline high and my cycles were all over the place.  She prescribed me Clomid, wanted P to do a semen analysis, and sent me on my merry way.

I remember getting the phone call in November about P's analysis.  I remember crying to my mom and making the horrible decision to call P at work with the news.  He was angry and devastated and walked around like a zombie in the days after that.  It ruined our Thanksgiving, and many days after that.

I remember the nerves I felt before my HSG.  Sure I had tons of bloodwork done and lots of pelvic exams, but this seemed like such a bigger deal.  This seemed like we were admitting we had a problem and were heading down a path that there was no turning back. 

I remember meeting Dr. P.  I remember her first recommendation being to go get a brain MRI.  WHAT??  She didn't like how my cycles had once been regular (before the pill) and had now become very irregular.  Strangely enough, I was calm before this test.  My aunt passed away after giving birth to her first child because of a bleed in her brain that they didn't catch fast enough.  Although I knew this MRI was to search for a tumor on my pituitary gland, I knew they would also be able to find any other irregularities.

I remember all the phone calls, dark days, and sleepless nights.  All the times we sat across from each other at the dinner table where I could barely make it through a meal without crying. 

There are so many other events that have occurred over the last 20 months that have changed P and me, but the memory that hit me last night was the one of me walking into the operating room last month.  It still seems so surreal.  I was giving myself shot after shot, praying and hoping for things to be okay.  I cannot believe just over a month ago I had 19 eggs removed from me.  I remember the nurse mentioning how high my blood pressure was due to my high anxiety.  I remember the doctor telling us we had lost almost all of our embryos at the time of our transfer.  But, he kept reminding us, all we needed was one...just one

I think one of the reasons I am hesitant to tell people we are pregnant is I am afraid what they will say.  All we really want to hear is, "We are so happy for you," or "You deserve it."  But, I have had so much experience with people saying inappropriate things that I am afraid how I will react to their words.  I know some people will want to tell us how lucky we are that it worked on the first try.  And I hate that.  Maybe a lucky pregnancy is one that didn't need medical intervention.  One that didn't require waiting at the door for medications to arrive, one that didn't require you to be put under anesthesia, or leave you with the thought this may never work.  Fortunate yes, we are so very fortunate to only have to go through this once, but I don't consider us "lucky."  I know people mean well.  I know it's because they just don't know what to say.  But, if we are okay with what we have been through, then we don't need others to try and minimize it for us or make us feel like it could have been worse. 

And after all the sad and painful memories, comes the happiest one of all.  I remember hearing my baby's heartbeat for the first time.  I remember the grin on P's face.  I remember feeling nothing but joy and disbelief.  P and I talk about it almost daily.  That tiny little flicker...

This whole experience has changed us.  We are not the same people we were when all this started.  And that's okay.  Because we survived this together.  And at the end of the day it has brought us closer.   At the end of the day we don't want to forget all that we have been through, because it is all those things that have led us to to our perfect little baby. 

10 comments:

  1. In the end, you got pregnant. When you're ready to tell others, you will know. And they will be happy for you! =) I have been upset with the lack of excitement from some of our family because they know all that we went through to get where we are...but all that matters is that I'm excited and happy to be blessed with this pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so tickled to see your comment on my post RIGHT BEFORE I clicked over to comment on yours! Hehe. I read your post this morning and wanted to wait till I got to my real computer to comment. This post truly touched me. All of these emotions are so real and so heart-wrenching, even now. When I read loss blogs, my heart feels like it tears open again. You will never forget what you've been through because it's made you who you are. As much as what we've been through has sucked, and as much as I wish neither of us every had to endure it, I am a better person. I am a more empathetic person. And now, look at these blessings in our bellies. Something I never knew could be such a blessing!

    Yes...19 weeks! The first 9 really crept by and after that, BAM so fast :) I hope you find the same thing on your journey as well. Thinking about you, dear blog friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - the pain won't ever go away & I wish we could all be as lucky as some people but after following your journey I am truly so very happy for you & you really do deserve it! Only tell people when you are ready & enjoy every moment xox Sending you all the good vibes in the world for a happy & healthy pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Lindsay! It's true that people would comment about the first try, etc. I don't blame you one bit for protecting yourself from that! See how much you've grown over this hellish 20 months? You've changed- for the better. You've always come back fighting and this baby will be a fighter too. I am so excited for you. You and P are going to be fantastic parents! You already are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post. IF is always going to be a part of you and it is completely normal to feel all these feelings. They don't go away just because you are pregnant and you finally got a treatment that worked. Take all the time you need to announce your pregnancy!! Sending you so many good vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you just posted this. The hub and I just had an intense conversation about how positivity has it's place in all of this but so does worry and despair. And that just because I feel lost and confused, sad and broken doesnt mean that one day I won't feel healed and whole again. We're still on our journey to get there and you give me hope that I may find my way there. I am over the moon for you and you deserve this happiness. Congratulations to you and P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does change us no matter what struggles we went through with IF. Yet it does make us stronger whether it feels like it or not on our lowest days. People will say things and will always say things that they think is appropriate but don't let it take away from the joy you and P have for your little Jelly Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many thoughts running through my head when I read this. Remembering all you've been through, all the pain and despair, makes me incredibly happy that you are 8 weeks along today. Because you and P have worked your butts off and I'm so glad that there has been so much happiness at the end of this.

    I also struggle with the idea of "luck." "Luck" implies that so many things: the stars aligned, things happened to work out, etc. It can also have connotations of being blessed. But by implying that someone is lucky that their cycle worked implies that someone is unlucky when it doesn't. And unlucky can imply more than chance. It can imply being cursed.

    So, I'll end by saying I'm so very happy for you and P. That you both will be awesome parents. And I hope for a smooth 8 months with many more images of your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so behind, but OMG, you're pregnant! Congratulations honey.

    I count down by each Monday - celebrating every week that we get through is another week closer to the scary part being over. (But let's face it: it'll always be scary!)

    Big hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this post. It's honest and real. Getting pregnant doesn't take away the pain and heartache of the past and it doesn't bring back what we lost. Thanks for putting this out there.
    MissC

    ReplyDelete