Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tales of a First Grade Nothing

Only 20 days left of school.  This is always a tough time of year for me.  I grow too attached to my students, I think that is why they respond so well to me, because they know how much I truly care for them.  I almost always cry on the last day of school, every year has gotten a little easier, but no ending to a year is easy

That brings me to a few more stories that hopefully make you smile from my always entertaining first graders...

A few weeks ago a boy (J) came in with a lime-green and gray striped sweatshirt.  I commented how I had a dress from Old Navy that looked exactly like it.  I told him I wished I could wear it to school but it was a little short.  To which another student (K) responded "A woman can never have things too short," (haha she is wise beyond her years and has dreams of being a fashion designer.)  Needless to say we planned to dress alike just a few days later and I wore the striped lime green and gray dress(with leggings of course) and he wore his striped lime green and gray sweatshirt.  The smile on J's face was like none other I had ever seen.  We even got our picture taken and it will be in the 4th grade slideshow shown at the end of the year.

Because of the type of class I have I am constantly putting names to feelings.  I tell them when I am happy and show it with my body language, expressions etc.  I tell them when I am angry and show them what it looks like.  Well, a few days ago I had to tell them that I was frustrated with them because a few of them were not following the directions even after REPEATING them over and over and over again!  A little girl M came up to me and said, "Mrs. C, it's okay, my mom comes homes frustrated sometimes too."  When I asked her why, she told me, "Because her kids get Fs all the time!"  Her mom is a high school teacher!

This story dates back a few months.  A little girl (T) told me on a Friday that she wouldn't be at school for the following week.  When I asked why she told me her father was renting her family a private jet and they were going to Hawaii for a week.  To say that my students tend to "stretch" the truth is an understatement, so I was a little too excited to catch her in this white lie when she showed up on Monday.  However, she was the one to surprise me!  When I reminded her how she told me she wasn't going to be in school all week, her response was, "Oh, Mrs. C we didn't win the lottery!" haha that was the week where powerball was at an INCREDIBLE dollar amount, her family must have been talking about what they would do if they ever won.  Oh, they do make me laugh!

Today, I overheard an interesting conversation going on...this is the part pf the conversation I started paying attention to.  J was telling a classmate "Yesterday I saw a flying baby?"  "What?"  "Yesterday I saw a flying baby in the sky!"  To which S responded, "That is a darn random thing to say."  HAHA!

Last, but not least, a few weeks ago, I did something pretty embarassing.  It has never happened to me before.  I had just come back from an intense IEP meeting and was a little rattled.  I was calling a reading group to my table and went back to sit in my chair...BUT my chair wasn't there so I fell on my ASS hard.  The students had no idea what to do, some ran over to me and asked if I was okay, others just stood there with their mouths open, while a few fought back some laughter.  I of course shook it off and laughed at myself explaining that even teachers do silly things!  At the end of the day I looked on my desk at the notepad where I write down all the funny/entertaining things that students say/do throughout the week so I can remember to blog about them and this is what I saw, one of my students had written "Mrs. C falls off her chair when it wasn't even there and hurt her wrist, how embarassing!!" 

You just CAN'T make this stuff up...




16 comments:

  1. Please don't be upset but I'm laughing. Hehehe. I'm so sorry you fell out of your chair, lol. I can't even imagine what it must be like as a Teacher. I am a Manager for a Hotel and I thought I had some stories. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, reading your post is making me miss my first graders. I taught first and second for three years, but now am on three years of fourth grade and my kids seem like little adults sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these wonderful little stories Lindsay. They certainly warm the heart. These children are so very lucky to be in your class. Sounds like they are going to be a hard bunch to say good-bye to. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! Kids are hilarious! Quick funny story, twins- boy/girl - 7 years old.
    Girl twin(T) - A, what do you want to be when you grow up?
    *Totally annoyed* Boy twin(A) - I don't know T, I have more important things to think about!
    Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaha! These stories made me laugh, what a funny group of kiddos you get to be around! Hope the next 20 days go smoothly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your school stories. They never fail to make me smile, and always make me wish I'd become a teacher. Thanks Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe! You have such wonderful stories and it is clear that the kids know how much you care about them! I am a teacher from the opposite camp - I love my students but am always happy about the end of another year! I think it may be because, as long as I stay at my school, I get the same kids ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way through 8th grade so I only say a true goodbye to my 8th graders (and by the end of their 9th year at our school they are so checked out and ready to move on to high school that I am actually a little cheery about them going!). This is my first year of 8th graders that I really feel attached to because I have had them since 5th grade and they were my 'shining stars' my first year of teaching:) Happy last 20 days of school with those sweet kiddos! You'll get to touch the lives of another group come autumn:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey from ICLW! Brilliant stories about your kiddy students, they sound so funny! I admire you guys who teach as I'm not sure I could ever do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should write a book. This stuff is pure gold, even you falling off the chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great stories!! Love the one about the lime green and grey dress, what a little fashonista that girl is going to be! Do you guys start later like September? Most of the schools around here are done this week. I know my mom is more than ready for the year to be over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about 20 more days, Megan!

      I love the flying baby story! Hilarious! My Mom also has some great "falling on your ass in the middle of a classroom stories!" It's great you're sharing these gems with us, so you have documentation! May be good to look back on if you're having a particularly rough day/ class year :) Hope you're having a good week.

      Delete
    2. I agree! My husband is a principal and we had graduation this past weekend already! :)
      Love the stories...kids are adorable! Most of mine are nonverbal and it really makes me feel like I am missing out on some funny comments. The things they do are pretty entertaining though!

      Delete
  11. When I taught Junior High for a year, I got a note on my chair saying that I had sweaty armpits. Thanks kid...I was already self-conscious about it.

    (I was wondering who "L" was - going a bit more anonymous?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable stories... you sound like an amazing teacher to all your gorgeous kids - they're lucky to have you :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! I love all the stuff kids say! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate your first paragraph. It is exactly how I feel every year with my students, and this year is one of the hardest for me to let go. I always feel like such a fool for getting so attached, but like you said, this gets te kids to trust me and respond to me. Being a teacher is very rewarding. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete