Thursday, July 12, 2012

What is IVF?

A few people that are aware of our struggle have asked me lately what exactly is IVF?  I know most of you already know, but for the few that don't (and for my own sake) I figured I would write a detailed post about it, because to be honest, the blogs I find myself going back to all the time, are the ones that give detailed accounts of what to expect.  I am that person that needs to know exactly what is going to happen.  That's why this whole process has been so difficult for me, you can do everything in your power to be prepared, and still nothing will go as planned.

So, hopefully this helps/informs at least one person out there!
My clinic broke it down into 4 steps, this is assuming the Lupron has suppressed your ovaries.  Luckily my husband requested the picture chart at our last meeting haha so that is where I am getting all of my information from.

  1. Ovulation Induction-Taking medications to produce several eggs in one cycle
    • These medicines will also control when you ovulate so that the rest of the steps for in vitro fertilization can be planned.  Throughout your cycle you will have several ultrasounds and blood tests to determine how well the ovulation medications are working.  Individuals react differently to these medications-some people may need an adjustment   As the follicles mature, they produce estradiol, a form of estrogen.  Your healthcare team will check the amount of estradiol in your blood several times to make sure your estradiol level is rising adequately in response to the medications (and to try to prevent OHSS as much as possible)
  2. Egg Retrieval-Doctor surgically removes the eggs.
    • When the follicles have matured, you will be instructed to give yourself an injection of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin.)  About 34-36 hours later, your doctor will remove the eggs from your ovaries.  A vaginal ultrasound is used to locate the follicles and guide the needle for egg collection.  A needle is then inserted through the vagina, into the ovaries and follicles to aspirate the eggs (YIKES!)  I will be knocked out for this.
  3. Fertilization and Embryo Culture-Embryologist mixes eggs and sperm
    • In the IVF lab, the embryologist prepares the eggs and sperm and mixes them together.  We will be doing ICSI with half of our eggs, which means rather than just being mixed together, one sperm will be directly injected into one egg.  If fertilization occurs, the embryologist will incubate the fertilized eggs and monitor them for about 2 to 5 days to make sure they develop properly.
  4. Embryo Transfer-The embryos are transferred to the uterus
    • Your doctor will discuss the number of embryos to be transferred into your uterine cavity and may suggest freezing any unused embryos to preserve them for future pregnancy attemps.
And here in lies the debate.  Dr. P already told me to be prepared for a 3-day transfer.  It is what she often recommends.  She believes your uterus is the best incubator for the embryos.  Obviously a pitri dish is not a natural environment for the embryos.  Some embryos may do poorly in a dish but thrive in the uterus. The lab requires you have a certain number of embryos doing well in order to do a 5 day transfer.  This brings me to my dilemma.  Because I need to know everything about everything I have been searching blogs and googling like crazy.  From what I have read, a 5-day transfer is best if you can make it that far, because at that point they are considered blastocysts and the embryologists have a much better idea of the quality.  The transfer of only one embryo at that time also seems to be preferred if it is of good quality and you are not dealing with other factors such as age, history of failed IVFs/FETs, etc...   If I am to assume we are doing a 3-day transfer, we won't exactly know how "great" they are which I'm guessing is why Dr. P recommends transferring 2.  The problem is, I don't know if I am comfortable transferring two.  The risk is so much greater for complications to both mother and babies that I don't know how I feel about it.  Then again, if we only do 1 and it doesn't work, will I be left wondering what if...I guess I am going to have to wait and see, might just have to be a game time decision. 

I haven't checked my temp. all cycle long, but I may have to tomorrow morning before I go in for b/w, because I don't want to be unprepared for the phone call tomorrow afternoon if I haven't ovulated yet.  Fingers crossed :)

I've also been fighting some nasty sharp pains on the right side of my head right above my ear, that last about 5 seconds, and have shown up every few hours over the past 2 days.  Not sure what it is, but if it persists, I will probably end up calling the doctor.  I'm thinking it could be stress related??

6 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with the 3 day transfer, as we had success with the 3 day transfer.
    But that is just me.
    I also agree with your doctor, the uterus is the best place for the embies to be!!
    Most people do 5 day and that all well and fine too.
    I think it's whats best for the patient.

    I'm so excited for your journey through IVF. It's an exciting and yet quick journey.
    The TWW's are the worse, but I'm sure you already knew that.

    BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that it makes a huge difference, as everyone is different and every dr. recommends different things. We did a 5 day transfer and transfered one embryo. We had a really good quality embryo too. Sadly it didn't work this time, but are doing it again and will probably transfer two. Our dr. would only let us do one the first time since we are young and everything looked good. Even the second time he said he still likes doing one, due to the risks and then the chances of those splitting since they are good quality. But would be ok with us doing to. It is just so hard because you want the best chances but also worry about the risk. Once you decide you just have to give up the what if's even though it is SO hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found the decision of whether to transfer one or two so hard... b/c I've also been worried about the increased risk of twins. Your heart will lead you to the right decision for you. Thinking of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many decisions! From what I understand - the 3 or 5 day decision depends both on the lab and the quality of the embryos. There is a difference in implantation rates for some clinics. BUT...you should ask what their success rates are of transerring 1 versus 2, and then what the risk of twins is. For us, for now, we decided that the extra boost in success didn't outweigh the 40% chance of twins, especially once we knew that they were able to freeze 2. It's a very personal decision, though.

    (My doctor recommended transferring 1 for our first, given our age, diagnosis, etc., but when that failed he recommended transferring 2. With hindsight, I'm glad we still decided on 1, but I'm sure I'd feel differently if the second cycle had failed.)

    Whatever you decide will be right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will drive yourself batty trying to figure out the stats. I am currently in my second IVF cycle and had a day-3 transfer and put back 2 embryos. I'm 35. Like you, I like to be informed, but in this case, reading all the stats on IVF did nothing for me. Each lab is different. Sure it's all IVF, but the stats are just confusing and depressing. Talk with your doctor. Talk with your partner. Really discuss what is important to you. When it comes down to it, we all want a full-term pregnancy resulting in a healthy baby. Like others have said, trust your gut and make a game time decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Touch decisions and they are all so personal.

    I think transferring one that looks awesome is the best way to go. (my own opinion). This is only because I have lost twins and have know a few people to lose twins in the 2nd trimester. The idea of them is appealing and I wish more than anything that I still had mine, but after the complications I couldn't risk it again.
    If you feel comfortable doing one (with some to freeze for later in case), I would do it. I think being the age you are, that you could have a good chance with one at either a day 3 or day 5.
    But it's a very personal choice. Take your time and weigh all your information. In the end, you have to go with your gut.

    ReplyDelete