Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Finally, a plan

So, we had our second visit with the RE.  I went with tons of questions (of course only got a few out because it was so overwhelming.)  And, we FINALLY have a plan.  My prolactin went down from 29 to 10, which was great!  The bad news was Dr. P told us all that trying we did throughout the ENTIRE year last year was probably never going to get us pregnant.  Because my cycles were all over the place and my prolactin was high, the egg quality was most likely not great.  We knew that our chances were low because of our visits to the urologist, but knowing we had almost no chance each month?  To say I was devastated was an understatement.  P asked me later if I was mad at my OB (she recognized the levels in May of 2011, retested me and they were still borderline high) because she didn't do anything about it almost a year ago!  I don't really have an answer for that, my OB was fantastic, she listened to me, she would call me at night with bloodwork results, and she referred me to the wonderful Dr. P (not to be confused with my husband P) who now has a plan for us! 

Dr. P asked us what we felt comfortable doing for next steps.  Since I am expecting AF in the next few days, it was too quick to begin any treatment for my upcoming cycle, so we will start at the end of March and I will continue taking the bromocriptine.  We will be moving forward with the IUI w/FSH injections.  Who knew I would be excited about shots?? I am the girl who was petrified to go to the doctor even if I was sick because I always associated it with getting a shot!  Unfortunately I also found out about the progesterone suppositories, doesn't sound too fun, and when I asked how long we need to continue them after the inseminaton, she told us 8 weeks if we receive a BFP.  8 weeks, gross!  But, if it will get us a baby, that is what we have to do. 

I would like to say I am hopeful because a part of me is, but then the other very realistic side of me knows that we only have at most a 20% chance of getting pregnant with each IUI.  We decided we will stop after 3, maybe even 2 and move to IVF if we don't meet success.  I know it might not happen, I have always planned for the worst, hoped for the best.  But, at least we have a plan...

I have decided I need to find something to do.  I used to play sports, exercise, SWEAT, and lately this whole baby thing has been all consuming.  One of my friends mentioned ZUMBA but I am a little hesitant since I have always been a basketball player, never a dancer!  Either way, I need to find an outlet, some way to release all this anxiety/tension or else I will never make it until the end of March...      

6 comments:

  1. Glad you've got a clear path of what to do next! I hear you on the frustration of knowing you've spent time & money doing something that never would have worked! Ugh! I used progesterone suppositories for a while and while they were one of my least favorite things, they weren't terrible...just kinda gross. I'll have to do the same or PIO shots when I get my BFP too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So weird...just looked at your blog and looks like we both picked this new background today. I on,y had it for a week and had enough if it haha...love the design of this one but maybe I will change the colors later! Thanks for your words of encouragement! Hope you're feeling a little better today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have the option of asking for a specific brand of suppositories, see if you can get Crinone. There's still a little bit of leakage, but it isn't much compared to the others because it's a cream base. It's sad but humorous that I have a preference in suppositories at this point. lol. And the injects aren't as bad as you might think. Just a little pinch in the belly fat, no biggy. It's the intramuscular ones that are killer (so I hear. I've never had to use them). GL to you and your hubby! It's so nice to have a plan and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just spoke with insurance and it is Crinone that will be arriving in just a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up! Can't imagine it is pleasant either way but nice to know it could be worse!! Thanks for following me!!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Thanks for following me! I am following you now, too! I also had an MRI after high prolactin levels were detected. Thankfully, they didn't find any brain abnormalities and my level was normal when they retested a month later. Like you, I will be turning 29 this year and I am a teacher! We have been ttc for 19 months now and it feels like an eternity! I felt that way at 14 months as well...so you are not weird for feeling the way you do!! My RE is pretty sure that the main issue for me and my husband is endometriosis (with a splash of PCOS for good measure. ugh). I will be getting a laparoscopy to diagnose and treat the endo and then we can move on with ttc from there. I think I am a lot like you in regards to needing a plan...even though our plans won't move forward until my surgery in June, I have found some peace knowing that we have a path to follow now! Good luck to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how many of us there are out there and how similar our descriptions. This whole blogging this is so neat because you can connect with people that can understand. Sometimes it is so hard being in the real world where people who don't know what you are going through and even if they did, they can't really understand it. Thanks for following me!!

      Delete