Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Don't Ignore Infertility

Because it is National Infertility Awareness Week, we were asked to particpate in posting about the following prompt...Don't ignore (fill in the blank)


This is my attempt at responding to Resolve's challenge to bloggers. 

Don't Ignore the fight you have inside you.  Each one of us is far more courageous and brave than we could have ever imagined.  Every day is a challenge, some days emotionally, some days physically, soem days mentally, and somedays it's all three!  Yet, we all continue to fight, something tells us we must keep fighting.  How we can go from breaking down to taking on another battle all in just a few days, hours, sometimes minutes is a pretty amazing thing.


It is that fight inside of us that gets us out of bed early in the morning to drive to appts. 

It is that fight inside of us that decides to move forward with another cycle when we know it's time for a break.

It is that fight inside of us that allows us to smile on the outside when on the inside all we want to do is scream.

It is that fight inside of us that gives us that tiny bit of hope that even though things are bad now, they won't (CAN'T) be this way forever.

When I heard the news yesterday that we were most likely going straight to IVF the fears and doubts hit me like a ton of bricks and I walked around in a bit of a daze for a little while.  What if I can't handle all the shots?  What if they don't monitor me well enough?  What if I get my hopes up too much?  What if this fails too? 


Then I got in the car with Sage, turned on the radio  and thought about all I have already been through and those four little words came out of my mouth...I can do this.  YOU can do this.  WE can do this.  The song playing on the radio was Jason Mraz's "I Won't Give Up." 

To those who have never experienced IF, there is no way to put it into words.  For as difficult as it feels for you to reach out to us, it is nothing compared to the daily struggle we face.  It sometimes seems like the world is just passing you by and you are at a standstill unable to participate, watching like an outsider.  You watch people celebrate good things in their lives and as much as you try and be a part of it, a part of you is shut off to their happiness, a part of you has grown a little cold.  Even your happiest of days aren't the "happy" they used to be.  But you don't give up, that fight inside of you pushes back.  That little fight inside of you tells you that eventually those days will become happy days again, hopefully filled with tubbies, bedtime stories, and lots hugs and kisses. For most of us, giving up is not an option.  A baby will come into our lives one way or another.

So, next time you feel like you just can't stand the thought of another failure, don't ignore that little bit of fight left inside of you, instead, allow it to take over.  Sometimes it is right under the surface, and sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to find it, but it is there, and we all have it.  And I pray for each and every one of us that the little bit of fight we have left, however small it may feel at times, wins out in the end...


To our little baby out there somewhere, don't worry, we still have a lot of fight left in us!

I Won't Give Up
Jason Mraz

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and gifts
We got yeah we got a lot at stake
And in the end,
You're still my friend at least we didn't tend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn, how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I got, and what I'm not
And who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
I'm still looking up

I won't give up on us
God knows I'm tough, he knows
We got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up...


 

13 comments:

  1. I just posted almost the exact same post. Thanks for writing this. Remembering our own strength takes strength but is very important.

    If you have to go to IVF, you will get through it. Honestly, I don't think IVF is that big a deal physically. It's the emotional stuff that's hard, but you deal with that already with this IUI stuff and IF generally. It's just graduating to the next step.

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from ICLW! First of all, what a lovely picture! You were a beautiful bride. I loved your pictures with Sage. My dogs are my heart and have given me so much comfort through our struggles. Sometimes I think my Wilson has been more of a support than my husband. :-)

    Anyway, best wishes to you whether you head down the path of IVF or try another cycle of IUI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely have tears in my eyes...

    Thank you so much for this post today. I really needed to read it. I've been feeling a bit low the last few days (mid cycle of my second rest cycle in a row due to cysts). I'm also a teacher and am on vacation this week. It's been difficult being alone with my thoughts so much and focusing on what could be another disappointing month.

    Thank you for reminding me that I won't give up. No matter what...until that baby is in my arms. Praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really resonated with this sentence:

    It sometimes seems like the world is just passing you by and you are at a standstill unable to participate, watching like an outsider.

    I feel like this all the time. People ask me what I do all day, and all I can think to say is that I'm trying to have a baby.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby IS waiting for you. I'm so glad you realize that. You do have it in you to get through the medical stuff as long as you keep your eye on the prize. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! Way to take the words right out of my mouth! But you said them way better than I could have :) I tear up every time I hear that song because it always reminds me that no matter what happens the Hubs and I are in it together, sink or swim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do this!!! Wishing you luck in which ever way you move on :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful song! We too are about to begin IVF within the next month. You will do great. The shots aren't fun, but the end result is. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love that song. It is on my CD that I made to listen to when I drive to my appointments. I know you are strong enough to do this, this is kind of the same theme of my post that I am working on too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "You CAN do this." A simple sentence that I know we all repeat to ourselves to give us strength. We can and we will do this...and it will be SO worth it. Thanks for reminding us that the fight is in there! We are all warriors with the scars to prove it. Great post. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi (again). I just left you a comment on your previous post and then I read your timeline...How did you know you needed your prolactin tested, or was that part of the tests your RE did? I'm just curious. I'd never heard about this until today, and now it has come up twice in discussion in about 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You most certainly can do this!

    I remember thinking IVF was this big scary monster. After being trough it I would do it again in a heartbeat.

    My motto through this process has been "If I want to have a baby (which will be incredibly painful) I most certainly can complete this"

    I am now following your blog and I am looking forward to hearing about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your response on my blog. I called my RE yesterday and checked if prolactin had been part of my bloodwork that I did back in January for recurrent miscarriage...and it was. I'm sorry you have to wait 2 more months, but I am praying that your IVF goes smoothly, along with your brother's wedding and all the joy that comes with that. My little brother got married last summer and it was a wonderful time. We also did the same thing--tried to wait so I wouldn't be too pregnant for the wedding. Well, I wasn't pregnant at all so it didn't matter :) "The best laid plans of mice and men..." I'm so glad I'm following your blog. Hoping that this summer brings you many, many beautiful surprises.

    ReplyDelete