Monday, April 9, 2012

No such thing as easy when you're dealing with IF

I am still trying to wrap my head around what happened over these past 48 hours... Saturday morning was just supposed to be a typical cd8 monitoring and then all hell broke loose I had lots of follicles but my estradiol level was sky high and we were told on Sunday we had a mere hour to decide what we wanted to do with this cycle. I expected the insemination to happen over my vacation, but instead

I went in for it this morning. I didn't have enough time to process everything, realize what was about to happen, so I of course spent last night thrashing around in bed, filled with fear, unable to slow my heart rate down. I think I slept in 10 minute increments. This morning I was nauseous and couldn't eat. I attribute it to a combination of the HCG shot and nerves.

We showed up on time to the appt after Ps sample was washed and given the go ahead. Our nurse was nice and I expressed how nervous I was, how unexpected this timing was. She assured me she does these all the time, and they always go smooth, after she said that I couldn't help but feel a little bit of dread creeping up.

It started out fine, I was able to relax enough for her to put the speculum in, and that's where it stopped being just another insemination. She spent 10 minutes unable to breakthrough the inner door of my cervix...she said it was as if it was sewn shut, even though we knewnthat wasnt true because inhad an HSG test last November.

She then went to get another nurse who spent another 10 minutes attempting to get it through. At this point I am fighting back tears and squeezing my husband's hand so hard i feel like it may lose circulation! Both nurses tell me in the 10 plus years doing this, they have never not been able to get though, so they call in the big guns, a doctor. The doctor struggled for about 5 minutes and then slams her hand down on my stomach and whoosh, it went in, I winced but knew it was almost over.

The nurse was apologetic and said my cervix was deviated to the left and she would make note of it on my chart in case I need to have another one. Another one?? How am I supposed to even think about putting my body through this again? I am ready for this to stop being so hard. But, it is over and I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief.

I start the crinone progesterone suppositories tomorrow morning and am expecting pregnancy symptoms to accompany them, what a cruel joke. As for the two week wait, I am not too hopeful, I think because everything happened so fast we missed the surge. I know eggs are good for 12-24 hours but I can't help but fear we missed the window that never even seemed to open up long enough for us. For now, I am happy to catch up on some sleep on the couch, thank god that is over!

34 comments:

  1. I'm glad this is done and you get some time to sleep and rest. This sounds like a terrible 48 hours. So much stress!

    I wouldn't worry about next time yet. This IUI might be the one! (And I hope it is!)

    If you do ever have to do it again, know that they'll adjust your protocol based on how you responded to this one. (I was on Letrozole for my IUIs, which is similar to Clomid and has fewer side effects than the injections.) You shouldn't have to go through all this again. Take care Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's been a rough few days but I am feeling better :)

      Delete
  2. Please don't count yourself out! I felt icky with my HCG injection as well with my IUI cycle. We had TERRIBLE numbers the day of our IUI and still got pregnant. I had a chemical due to a residual uterine septum and was on NO progesterone support.

    Please stay confident. Positive thinking does wonders and prayer is always great. I am praying for you to be positive and optimistic. =)And also praying for sticky vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that's horrible! My first IUI was definitely the most painful...the others didn't hurt at all and I don't think it was experience, it was either my cervix or the nurse. Well hopefully this will be the only one you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh every time I think it can't get any worse it does haha!! When will this ever end for all of us??

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with your first fertility treatment. Really hope you get a positive outcome! Sending positive vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry hun! Don't count yourself out yet. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you never have to do it again, except maybe for a sibling? Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that you had a terrible time with it but hopefully this is all you need and it will all be worth it in the end. Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't get a break! Hoping that this is "it"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am supposed to start the crinone this morning but I had nausea and a slight fever last night and into this morning so I am definitely putting those on hold for a few hours...thanks for thinking of me!!

      Delete
  9. Goodness, what an ordeal! I"m glad that it's over and you're able to rest now! Wishing you a happy and stress-free 2ww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hoping your 2 week wait (which I think might be over soon) ends in your happily ever after :)

      Delete
  10. I'm really surprised that nurses do the insemination. I've only ever had my RE perform them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess every clinic does it differently, but I sure wished the doctor had been the first one to try, would have prevented this whole ordeal from happening!

      Delete
  11. Ahhh! How difficult. At least they were able to get it done! I can imagine how stressed out you would have been at that point.
    I wish you luck and a relaxing 2ww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's what's my husband said too, thank god they were able to breakthrough haha!!

      Delete
  12. Our bodies are very strange things so don't assume the worst just yet! I think it is exciting that you have your first IUI behind you. Now if (and I mean IF!!) you need to try it again you'll know what to expect and it will probably be less stressful. I am hoping you get a nice surprise in 2 weeks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have it behind me...thanks so much for being hopeful for me :)

      Delete
  13. What an awful experience! So sorry you had to go through that. I hope that the 2ww flies by for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks denay...love reading about your BFP, truly a miracle baby!!!

      Delete
  14. It's not time to give up hope, girl! Stay strong! You know if you get a sticky bean it's going to be stubborn one after all that :) Praying this is it. We're all here, rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, it means a lot. Hope you are feeling a little better too...

      Delete
  15. Hi... here from Cyclesista's :)) Looks like we'll be cycling together :)) Sounds like a big few days... thinking of you and FXd that this is the IUI for you... hope is a beautiful thing :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it would be awesome if we both had news to celebrate at the end of this :)

      Delete
  16. Hope your 2ww just flies by and this is the month everything changes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just caught up on your blog and what all happened the past few days. Ugh! I'm so sorry it's been so crazy! That's one of the hardest things of dealing with IF and the treatments and meds, I think, is the unpredictability of it all. It probably doesn't feel like much of a silver lining, but think of how much your RE learned about your body and how it responds with this cycle. There's definitely a learning curve involved with these treatments because of how differently each person responds.

    It will all be worth it in the end! Keeping everything crossed for you and hoping the next couple of weeks go by quickly!

    ReplyDelete