Sunday, August 5, 2012

And We Made It!


The lower dose of Gonal-f last night seems to have helped my nausea for the time being so I finally managed to get a good night sleep on the couch last night, I actually needed my alarm to get up for b/w and u/s this morning. The u/s showed A LOT going on. I have about 18 follicles that look ready. I still have a lot (like more than 15) under 10 mm which makes me nervous but I can't worry about that right now. I asked what the egg retreival will be like with so many follicles and the nurse said I will definitely be more uncomfortable then someone who only has 5 or 6 because for each follicle they have to stick a needle through your vagina and aspirate it, no matter how big or small. They will use an ultrasound to guide the needle to get to the ovary and follicles. Then, the fluid in the follicles is aspirated through the needle and the eggs detach from the follicle wall and are sucked out of the ovary. GROSS! So, 30+ sticks will probably lead to a lot of pain. But, I would rather be prepared for it. The one good thing the nurse said is that the follicles in each of my ovaries are clustered, rather than spread out, so they may be able to go through the same "hole" again and again for multiple follicles. When I left this morning, the nurse gave me a 90% chance of triggering tonight (oh thank god!) 

And...after spending most of the morning cleaning and running errands, I finally got the phone call...
I am triggering tonight at 7:30 pm.  My egg retrieval is scheduled for 7:30 am Tuesday morning.  If everything goes well, we will transfer one beautiful embryo Friday morning. 

I nervously asked her about my estradiol and it came back at 3,400 which I was pretty pleased with given all the activity I have; we seem to have avoided any huge jumps in the levels and its been a nice and steady increase (aside from the first few days.)

They are still concerned about me hyperstimulating so they had orginally mentioned putting me on cabergoline .5 mg, BUT after mentioning to the nurse that I take Bromocriptine 1.25 mg every night (to keep my prolactin levels low) they called me and said I am already covered and there is no need for the .5 cabergoline.  The Bromocriptine serves the same purpose as the cabergoline.  That made me feel better, because I already have that drug in my system and hated to add another in there too.  So, tonight is my last injection!!!!  AND WE MADE IT!!!!


26 comments:

  1. Hooray! Congrats! I've had 40 and 36 follicles with 26 and 19 eggs retrieved. Honestly, felt no pain post retrieval (with the exception of some bloating, but no pain in my hoo ha). I bled for a day and that was it. I do remember some of the procedure and THAT hurt, but most people don't seem to remember a thing. I'm just lucky that way. I felt so uncomfortable by retrieval day that I actually felt better when it was over. Good luck! Hope they get lots of healthy eggs and you get some lovely embies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! Happy trigger night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had about 20 follicles - the procedure was so fast and I don't remember it at all. I was quite uncomfortable after - but more from the bloating and just felt lots of pressure around my lower stomach but it went away after a few days. the egg retrieval was what I was most worried about but it ended up being not as bad as I thought! I will be thinking about you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! You did it! Good luck with retrieval, all will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything goes well with your retrieval Tuesday. Praying that you avoid OHSS! I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Good luck on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOORRAAYY!! I knew you could do it! Fingers and toes crossed for Tuesday and hoping for more great news very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! Everything sounds really promising!! I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah!!! So excited for you!!! Feels so good to get that call that you are ready to trigger. Nice to move forward. Just a few more days and you'll be growing those embies. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! By the time I read this, you've already done your last shot!! Praying so hard for you. Can't wait for you to get those babies outta there and get to fertilizing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! A drug free day and then a very successful egg retrieval. Make sure you have some good movies to watch on Tuesday and Wednesday...and some meals you can pop in the microwave in case you don't feel like cooking. And just in case you do get swollen and uncomfortable, some stretchy yoga pants (the cheap ones that don't hold you in) might be good too. This is very exciting! Good luck on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY!!! I am so so so excited for you!! Hoping everything goes smooth tomorrow morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have lots of follies and hoping the best for your retreival!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yaaaaaaayyyyy! So glad you've made it to retrieval! Best of luck and plan to take it easy for a bit afterwards! Keep hydrated, eat protein and keep your feet elevated whenever you can. Those are all supposed to help with the bloating. And be prepared for constipation (gross, I know). If you keep it under control early on it will make your life so much more pleasant! GL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great news! And it looks like our transfer will be on Friday, so we will be transfer/bed rest buddies! Hoping your retrieval goes well and that you are able to recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew you could do it!!!! YAY!!! I will be thinking about you tomorrow! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just catching up from the past few days so wanted to say good luck tomorrow!!! You will do great! Just think about all you've already been through that you didn't know if you could handle - the retrieval is just one more step in the process and once it's over you'll start to feel better and realize it wasn't as scary as you'd imagined. Take it easy tomorrow and Wednesday! Sleep when you can and eat whatever sounds good - you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Good thoughts for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck today - thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete