Monday, August 27, 2012

More Waiting and Worrying

This weekend was so difficult for P and me.  I don't know why.  We got two positive betas Wednesday and Friday.  We should be happy.  We should be so excited.  There is no reason to believe that we aren't going to go on to have a healthy baby.  And yet we are both so nervous.  We have never been in this position before and we are so scared that something is going to go wrong. 

I know I should be happy about my betas, they are both high numbers (202 & 360) but I can't help but worry that the second number isn't high enough compared to how high my first one was.  360 is a 78% increase, it is just as close to doubling (100%) as it is to being only 60% which is the MINIMUM increase it should be.  I know you can't compare HCG levels from one person to another, but I can't help but think it should have been higher.  We were really hoping for at least 400s maybe even 500s, given how high my first one was.  I am trying not to worry, but to be honest, if something bad were to happen I am worried P and I won't get through it.  I have kept it together well enough over these past few months, but I can't help but think that I won't recover from this if it doesn't work out.

At the same time I am filled with worry about the thought of twins.  Is it even okay to talk about both worries in the same post??  Since day one I expressed my strong feelings toward only transferring one.  I was adamant against transferring two and somehow that is what ended up happening and since the transfer I have felt very uneasy about it.  People always say "only put in as many as you can handle," but I think until your in the room with the doctor who is telling you what crummy embryos you have, you really can't pass any judgment.  All your thinking is we have just put ourselves through all this and really all we want is a baby, we will do whatever will guarantee us the best chance of that.  And so that is what we did.  I don't believe, if we are still pregnant, it will be twins, but P has reassured me that even if it is, we can handle it.

My next beta is Friday.  I start work the following week.   We have devoted our whole summer (from start to finish) to creating this little one.  And now it's time to go back to work. 

Before going through this, I never understood how people could write about the wait for a third beta or first ultrasound being more difficult than the wait to find out if you're pregnant, but it is SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT, for me anyway.  The last test I took was a week ago (10dp3dt) and it was so very dark.  So, we were both very confident going into the first beta it was going to be a good strong number.  Now, we have no idea what to except with this third beta.  So many times I have wanted to call my clinic and ask to come in earlier for another beta, but P and I have decided that whatever is going to happen will happen whether I go in tomorrow or Friday so we will continue to wait.  I have begun to feel a few symptoms which has reassured me a little.  I get pretty tired late afternoon to the point where I need to lie down on the couch because my energy goes from high to low in about 2 minutes.  My boobs have also gotten pretty tender.  But, besides that, I feel pretty good.  The bloating (IVF pouch) is still out of control, but the pain/stretching/tearing feeling of my ovaries and abdomen has improved. 

Tomorrow, I will be 5 weeks and I am trying to force myself to believe that this will work.  Every once in a while we talk about our possible due date (April 2013) and what great timing that would be.  How much fun it would be to pregnant over the holidays and what kind of cute Christmas card we could send out.  We started talking about a nursery and how long I would take off from work, but I am trying not to talk about it too much.  I am trying hard not to get too attached.  Maybe I will feel better after Friday.  Or maybe this is just the way it is going to be for a while.  This fertility stuff has already taken so much from us, I hate that I am allowing it to continue to run my life.  Hopefully I will look back at this post in a few weeks and realize how silly we were for worrying so much.

On our drive home from Maine I heard this song for the first time and went right on the computer to find the lyrics...I feel like so many of us could have written this song ourself...

Life Ain't Always Beautiful
Gary Allan

Life ain't always beautiful
Sometimes it's just plain hard
Life can knock you down, it can break your heart

Life ain't always beautiful
You think you're on your way
And it's just a dead end road at the end of the day

But the struggles make you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has it's own way of takin it's sweet time

No, life ain't always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

Life ain't always beautiful
Some days I miss your smile
I get tired of walkin all these lonely miles

And I wish for just one minute
I could see your pretty face
Guess I can dream, but life don’t work that way

But the struggles make me stronger
And the changes make me wise
And happiness has it's own way of takin it's sweet time

No, life ain't always beautiful
But i know i'll be fine
Hey, life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride
What a beautiful ride

17 comments:

  1. Hey girl. The wait is horrible. It was horrible for me, and I was convinced that I just wasn't pregnant. Looking back, I wish I would've TRIED to enjoy it a little more...it's so much easier said than done, I know. I'm praying for you, because I know that's about all I can do to help. Try to enjoy your last week before your kids come back. Try as much as you can to take your mind off of it. Again, easier said than done.

    I'm sure you've seen it, but betabase.info was a very reassuring site for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard the beta wait is...and then the wait for the ultrasound, etc etc etc. it never seems to end. I really hope this works out for you! I was even thinking next time I don't even want more than one beta done. I can't handle the analyzing of numbers again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wait is pure hell!! I hated the waiting.. I'm crossing my fingers for you that your third beta gives you much relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beta's seem to be in the normal range and looks good. I hope this week goes by quickly and your levels are within a range that makes you feel more confident. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! I TOTALLY understand how stressful it is waiting for that third beta when you really have NO clue. I had a breakdown waiting for that phone call. Don't worry about your numbers - they are great! Yours are doubling in 57.6 hours and mine were 56.7 (1st to 2nd) and then jumped at 31.9hrs for the third. You just never know!! I was also kind of freaking out about twins (esp with the 31.9hrs) but we only saw one sac at my first u/s. It's so tough, but it's all worth it in the end! I've been just trying not to think about it as much and keep myself busy! GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, we are so similar. (I'm pretty sure I wrote some of these very things after our beta. Thankfully I didn't have a second one to obsess over.)

    Hang in there Lindsay. You're right, this wait is so much harder, but it will pass. Also, 78% is just barely closer to 60% than 100% - I don't believe for a minute that the tests are accurate within 2%. (Of course, I don't actually know anything about this. I'm just sceptical.)

    I really believe that everything will be fine and that you have a strong heartbeat waiting to show itself to you in two weeks. Time to get lost in some teacher planning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Lindsay. I know waiting is hard, but you've come so far and you have symptoms. That's a very good sign. In addition, though bHcG is a great marker, there's a reason it's abandoned once they can do ultrasounds. So, as long as you're above 60% every 48 hrs you're doing fine. Hold on to that.

    Thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for a great first ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so totally normal to freak out and not believe it, even following fantastic betas. I think I held my breath at every single ultrasound (and I had zillions) right up until I started feeling the baby move. As far as the twin thing...I hear you. I was adamant about transferring one, then when one decreased in quality (this was way back my first transfer) we put in two. When we had high betas this cycle I prayed that it be only one, then had a dream that it was only one and was dissapointed....it is a hard place to be!
    You guys will make it through, it has been a battle and you have survived this far. IF is so so so hard on a relationship, but you are winning - and you are FIVE weeks pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, girl, I can relate! It is so hard to have your hopes up after IF and then to immediately question, "But can we handle MORE heartache if things don't go well?!" Your worries are normal. I still worry! I have high hopes for you, though!! And no matter what, you and P will have eachother and you will get through it! Even if it means twins :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it doesn't get any easier. I thought "oh, after the 3rd beta, I'll settle into this pregnancy." And then I had a twinge and a pang and a pull and I worried it was over. So then it was "oh, after the ultrasound, I'll ..." and then "oh, after the next ultrasound, I'll ..."

    It doesn't seem to end. What I can tell you is that I am getting better at keeping my fears at bay. Maybe I'm just exhausted from insomnia from 2-4 every morning.

    Hang tight, L, you are pregnant and you are going to stay pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers - I am hoping once you get into the swing of the school year time will just FLY by for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been out of town so I missed that you got a BFP. I am so happy for you!! If you haven't looked checked, check out betabase.org. It won't help with the doubling time worry, but it does show the entire range of numbers which is great.

    Also...although you can have slightly lower betas and still have twins, it's less likely, so just worry about one thing at a time right now!

    Every day that you stay pregnant keeps upping the odds that you'll keep staying pregnant, so just go day by day and think "today I am pregnant." I know it's hard since you've been focusing on the future for so long, but try to go back to day by day.

    Wishing you peace and a sticky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately, I think that IF almost permanantly affects you from here on out. We are programmed to be prepared for the worst and the waiting continues throughout the pregnancy. I am 21 weeks and still waiting for 24, then 27....
    Just revel in the fact that right now, you are pregnant for the first time. You have to hold onto the hope that this could very well work out for you as it works out for so many others. I know there are women who it doesn't work out for...but this little one deserves to get the best from you whether it's for a week or 40. Keep your head up hon. That's what I tell myself every day.
    MissC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still thinking of you Lindsay! I think the symptoms are a good sign! I have no idea how you are feeling, I haven't been there except when I thought everything would just go according to plan...I am sure it is frustrating and exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Gary Allen and that is one of my favorite songs. It was hard for me to stay positive even though I had never had a miscarriage but the thought was constantly in my brain. Taking it one day at a time is seriously the only way I lived from beta to beta. Enjoy this time because like all IF'ers you deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete