Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Big Day

To say I have been nervous over these past few days is an understatement.

My mom spent all day with me yesterday and kept me distracted and my nerves almost disappeared. Then she left and it got dark out and I began counting down the hours.  Luckily my friend Annie was there to listen to me and reassure me and I actually went to sleep feeling fairly at ease.

But I woke up at about 330 and never really went back to sleep.

When I woke up, I thought I was going to burst.  It felt like my eggs were taking over my stomach to the point that I was actually looking forward to the retrieval because I was so uncomfortable.

So, we got there around 6:45 and they called me back around 7:15.  I didn't know at the time, but I wouldn't see P again until I walked out of the room to leave.

The area in the back was intimidating to say the least.  There was an operating room and a huge area set up like an emergency room.  They brought me into a small room and got my IV started which was fairly easy but they could all tell how nervous I was!  The nurse with me was one that had done a bunch of my ultrasounds and I loved having her with me.  From there they took me right into the operating room where they gave me some happy juice, put an oxygen mask on my face and within 30 seconds I was out.  I woke up about an hour later but was really groggy and in a lot of pain so they put some morphine in my IV and then got me some vicodin and drifted in and out of sleep for the next hour.  When I was finally "awake" I had a few crackers, ginger ale, peed, and was on my way out to see my husband who was very excited to see me!

My procedure was scheduled for 7:30 am and we were home by 11.  I am so relieved it is over and anxious to hear about our fertilization report tomorrow.  In the meantime I have peed about 6 or 7 times already and am pumping the fluids trying my best to keep OHSS away.  I am still in quite a bit of pain but trying to stay on top of it with pain meds and just keep telling myself that I will feel better soon!

11 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!! SO glad to hear it went well!! I've been thinking about you and praying for you! Excited to hear the fert report, make sure to keep us updated! Now get some rest! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad that it is over!! that was the worse part and you made it!! I felt quite uncomfortable after but it did go away within a few days! hope your hubby is taking really good care of you - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peeing is a VERY good thing. You will probably feel bloated and uncomfortable, but if you're peeing, you're probably ok. I literally peed 4-6 times a night for a few days. But I learned that it was a good sign and I think it's why I only got very mild OHSS, if that.

    Congratulations on getting through it!!!! Now stay away from sugar as that will "help" OHSS come on. And keep guzzling water and electrolytes (coconut water).

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad it went well and now it's over! See we knew you could do it! Excited to hear the report tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The worst is over. Thank goodness! I had a pretty painful retrieval myself and felt better after a week. By then you are ready for transfer! I can't wait to hear about your embies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay -- this hurdle is over. And 19 -- what an overachiever you are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear that everything went well :-) Can't wait to find out what the report is on the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rooting for you! On pins and needles until the next update! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad this part is over. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get an excellent embie report :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Lindsay!!! I'm so happy to hear this news! 19 is an excellent number and you are one heck of a trooper!! Thinking of you and keeping all digits crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yaaaaay!

    Awesome sauce, lady! Ohh how delectable that ER nap is...

    Everything crossed for the emby report!

    ReplyDelete