Friday, March 16, 2012

MY BFF

Lately as I have been reading the blogs I have been noticing everyone reference their "BFF" often and it got me to thinking.  I am still friends with some girls from when I was little, I still keep in touch with a few friends from college, and I have some good friends that I have met since graduating college and entering the teaching profession.  But, none of them are what I would call a best friend; the person I call when I am sad, happy, need a pick me up, or want to go shopping. 

Growing up, I always played with the boys, I never had an interest in having lots of girlfriends.  I have always hated drama, never been a girly girl, have always been pretty confident in myself (none of which make having close girl friends easy) and I can't STAND clingy people.   To be honest, I have always enjoyed my alone time, I have no problem going shopping by myself or having a glass of wine with P on a Friday night.  Yes, I enjoy a night out, and will never turn down a glass of wine or a good laugh, but it has never been something that has defined me.  I was never one of those people that went out just so I would have a good story the next moning, never felt the need to impress other people.  Guess that is one of the best things my parents taught me, to like myself and feel comfortable in my own skin.

That brings me to "MY BFF."  A while ago I realized that the reason I never craved that best friend growing up is because I had already had one all along...my mom.  When I have had a bad day, I call my mom, when I have had a good day I call my mom, when I want to go shopping, see a movie, go to the beach, I call my mom.  I am one of the lucky ones that was blessed with a once in a lifetime relationship with the person that gave me life!  When P and I first began TTC, one of the biggest things on my mind was I wanted to make my parents grandparents.  I remember (last year when we were so naive) imagining surprising my mom on Mother's Day with a baby carriage pandora charm, or my dad on Father's Day with a special surprise...haha if I only knew what I know now!

So, this post is dedicated to my mom, my BFF, my "person."  She recently got some news that (crossing my fingers) is nothing or it could be something.  We will know more next Friday when she goes in for some more tests.  We decided to both take the day off, and go shopping after the tests.  At least it will give us both something to look forward to.

As for me, no idea what is going on with my body.  My BBT went up .3 on Thursday and was back down this morning.  Oh, the joys of cycling.  Last night I watched a video of how to give myself the Gonal-F injections and all I have to say is WTF!  I guess I have a few weeks to let it all sink in.

Until then Lindsay, it's time to...
Put on your Big Girl Panties and Deal With It!


7 comments:

  1. I will keep your mom (and you!) in my thoughts. I hope the something is totally nothing and you have a fabulous time shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with your mum. My mum is lovely and I love her dearly but we have our ups and downs, we drifted apart when I was a teenager and although we are closer again now I usually turn to friends first. I will keep you and your mum in my thoughts too, my father is having some test that may or may not be something so I understand where you are coming from exactly (I'm a daddy's girl).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you and your mom are close. And it's clear you understand how special that relationship is. I'm keeping you in my thoughts this next week, hoping that you get the "all clear" next Friday. In the meantime, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, I'll be praying everything is ok with your mom! I understand your thoughts on a best friend...in fact, it took me years after college to find what I think are my forever best friends. You're going to be a pro with the shots in no time! First one is the scariest. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if I consider my mom my BFF, but we are pretty close. It's why I've always wanted a daughter. I want to experience a mother/daughter relationship. Thanks for opening up about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always felt this way about my momma too :) She was the matron of honor at our wedding, and she is the person I call at the end of every day with news, good or bad. She always knows the right thing to say, unlike some of my girlfriends who tell me to "relax and it will happen." Or provide me with stories of all the people they know who struggled to get pregnant, but finally did. Anyway...Moms are the best :) Wishing all the best to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping everything is ok with your mom. I used to think I could never talk to my mom until I went off to college and now it is so weird to not talk to her at least once a day. Believe me, it took me till after my wedding to find out who my BFF's are.

    ReplyDelete