Friday, March 23, 2012

Special Delivery


When I got home from work yesterday there were two packages at my door, I was excited for both but for 2 totally separate reasons.  The first was a navy blue maxi dress from Loft which I had been waiting to come all week.  I LOVE to shop, I find it very therapeutic.

The other thing that came in the mail was my medication for my upcoming IUI.  I tore the box open because I knew it had gotten there in the morning (and although I knew it was in a refrrigerated cooler) I wanted to get them in our refrigerator quickly.  Although it did take me a few seconds to decide should I put them next to the yogurt, eggs, soda???


I'm sure it doesn't look like anything compared to those that have been through an IVF cycle, but for me it was very overwhelming.  No matter how much you read or how many people you talk to, I don't think you can ever really be prepared for this. 

I went out to dinner with a good friend last night.  She knows what we are going through and always tells me how I should be filled with hope because she knows people that have gotten pregnant on their 3rd or 4th IVF.  I don't understand why that is supposed to give people hope?  It scares the shit out of me.  It is so UNFAIR that it takes some people that long, (and some even longer) to have a baby.  Thinking of having to go through all of that makes me sick to my stomach.  I tried to explain to her why that doesn't make me feel better, but like everyone on here says, this is an experience that until you have gone through it yourself, people just can't put themselves in your shoes. 

My mom goes in for her testing this am and I am going in to my REs office to learn how to give myself the injections.  Then I guess I should read all these manuals and see what I am really dealing with.  Hope to get my AF by mid-late next week and then the fun begins!

8 comments:

  1. Yay for shopping! I could probably spend my whole IVF budget at the Loft or regular Ann Taylor...good thing I have both at the outlet mall next to me!

    Good luck with all of the meds! It looks overwhelming.

    I agree that unless you've gone through this process you can't possibly understand it, no matter how close of a friend and supportive you are. I'm so glad we have a blog world of women (and men) who "get it."

    Hurry up AF!! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Loft...and cannot resist anything navy blue. Although my shorty legs don't allow me to pull off a maxi dress- jealous!

    I understand what you mean about other's IF success...it doesn't always give me hope either! Especially when you think you're just starting your first IUI. I usually say something like "it BETTER not take me that long!" Good luck with injection class (that sounds hilarious!) I like to keep my hcg & progesterone next to the cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Receiving meds is always overwhelming. Yes, you have less than someone going through an IVF cycle, but this is your first injectable + IUI. That's overwhelming in and of itself.

    The thing to keep in mind over the next few weeks is that IUIs do work. If they didn't, then everyone would simply move onto IVF. Granted, the success rates are not as good, but I personally know 3 couples that have THBs from IUIs (2 injectables, 1 from Femara). So focus on that.

    Finger crossed for your Mom and the injectables training. May there be good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't think its possible for people to put themselves in our shoes. You have to live it to understand. Wishing you luck with the injectables and this upcoming IUI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm your sock exchange buddy (and fellow Loft enthusiast)! I wasn't sure how to contact you other than posting a comment. You can email me at meg_clugston(at)hotmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I just went through my first IUI last month and unfortunately it didn't work but I have to remain hopeful for next month. I totally get what you're saying about that not making you feel better. It's so hard to imagine the long process that could lie ahead...

    Oh and by the way...what is a sock buddy? I'm dying to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can try to explain it until you are blue in the face, but people that have never gone through IF will *never* get it. Though, some do seem to be able to listen better than others. I pick my friends and who I tell very differently than I used to.

    ReplyDelete