Friday, March 23, 2012

Only 56...even younger!

Yeah, two posts in one day I know it is a little much, but it was that kind of day.

I knew today would be difficult.  Just didn't know how difficult.  My mom's tests revealed she has COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and Emphysema.  She is only 56 and never smoked a day in her life (well today she admitted to smoking one cigarette a long time ago and spit it out immediately haha her exact words.)  This is all because of exposure to second hand smoke.  My Nana who I would give anything to have back on this Earth was a smoker and if she was alive today this news would absolutely destroy her.  This wasn't supposed to happen to MY mom...

I am so thankful I went in for the injection class.  My mom came with me after her tests and the nurse was so kind and patient.  Like I have said before it takes a special person (nurse, doctor, even secretary) to deal with IF and make a person feel comfortable during such an uncomofortable and emotional time.  And at my clinic everyone I have met so far has had that special quality.  I practiced setting the Gonal F pen and stabbing a fake stomach haha.  Thank god I practiced because I had no idea what the hell I was doing!

After that my mom and I shopped and shopped and shopped.  It's what we do, it's how we deal with things. 

Then I got home and decided to plant a tree in our backyard.  We have a townhouse, but have our own little backyard area.  The tree was leftover from Christmas and was filled with decorations so I took them off (called my mom and asked how to plant it of course) and started digging.  I hope one day the tree will represent life and perseverance because right now all it represents is anger, sadness, and frustration.

8 comments:

  1. I am so very, very sorry to hear this news. Your mom has a lot to live for, and I know that you will help her fight with everything you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Lindsay sounds like you've had a very up and down day. I'm truly sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. However, if she's anything like you I'm sure she's one tough cookie.

    Yes, I hope that the meaning of that trees changes for you sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no. That is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and all that your family is going through. 57 is much too young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, I am so sorry to hear about your mom! You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. You will get through this and planting that tree may be a sad thing today, but hopefully watching it grow and change will give you hope...and hope for a new life you're getting ready to create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. What happens next for her?

    I know you'll do great with the injections. I'm glad you had some practice though! Maybe if I'd gone to a class, I would have got the needle in successfully the first time :)

    (PS Did you buy anything fun?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm going to guess that she is a fighter just like you! I will be keeping her and your family in my thoughts. Even though I am a farmgirl I still don't even know how to plant a tree, I would for sure have to call my mom or dad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm keeping your mom in my thoughts and prayers (and you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom and family are in my prayers. Way to go with your stabbing! You can do it! = )

    ReplyDelete